[paludis-user] Newbie questions

Stephen P. Becker spbecker at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:47:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 16:41 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Trying to migrate into paludis... Some issues don't understand...
>
> Should it be a complete portage replacement?
>
> I mean, should it work if portage package is actually missing from system?

Of course it works with portage missing from the system.  However, there
are stupid system deps that will just pull it right back in.

> I am missing:
> ebuild
> quickpkg
> update-env
> update-etc/etc-update

Those are all parts of portage.  They have no equivalents in paludis.
Incidentally, paludis does not support the portage .tbz2 binpkg format,
so you won't ever want to touch quickpkg anyhow.

> Also, is there some tool similar to:
> equery files, shows all files of a package.
> equery hasuse, all packages with specific USE flag.
> equery check, checks installed files.

Try "paludis -q" and inquisitio

> Also missing:
> eclean-dist
>
> I found the paludis-extras site, but if I understand correctly it is
> not formally supported.

Correct, not supported, and potentially dangerous.

-Steve