[paludis-user] Paludis on non-Gentoo & non-root operation

Tom Cooksey tomcooksey at googlemail.com
Fri May 16 20:56:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 21:37:29 +0100
> "Tom Cooksey" <tomcooksey at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Embedded systems don't want to install headers for libfoo, so libfoo
>> > gets a headers USE flag that's on for desktop profiles and off for
>> > embedded profiles. But then, every package that needs libfoo has
>> > to explicitly DEPEND upon libfoo[headers] and RDEPEND upon libfoo
>> > (without the use dependency). This doesn't scale well either to
>> > adding new separations or to lots of dependencies.
>>
>> What about splitting packages into normal & development, like most
>> binary distributions do?
>
> That's a fairly horrible hack, especially when it comes to building
> from source -- do you really want to compile gcc four times to get
> binaries, libs, headers and documentation? (IIRC gcc has generated
> items in all four categories, so it really is a compile each time.)

Yes, agreed - plus it breaks the use flag model.

OpenEmbedded get round things by packaging separately. One "recipe"
does not map to one package. It compiles once then packages into
several different packages.

<rant>
It's a horrible model, especially as you basically have to compile _everything_
 leading to a massive dependency tree for seemingly simple things. E.g. I
started writing a recipe for Qt/Embedded 4.4 (my day time job). Not only do
you have the doesen or so Qt libraries, you also have all the different plugins,
such as the SQL driver plugins like MySQL. So then MySQL becomes a dep
of Qt. I hate it & long for use flags!
</rant>