[paludis-user] Paludis on non-Gentoo & non-root operation

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri May 16 20:45:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 21:37:29 +0100
"Tom Cooksey" <tomcooksey at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Embedded systems don't want to install headers for libfoo, so libfoo
> > gets a headers USE flag that's on for desktop profiles and off for
> > embedded profiles. But then, every package that needs libfoo has
> > to explicitly DEPEND upon libfoo[headers] and RDEPEND upon libfoo
> > (without the use dependency). This doesn't scale well either to
> > adding new separations or to lots of dependencies.
>
> What about splitting packages into normal & development, like most
> binary distributions do?

That's a fairly horrible hack, especially when it comes to building
from source -- do you really want to compile gcc four times to get
binaries, libs, headers and documentation? (IIRC gcc has generated
items in all four categories, so it really is a compile each time.)

> > Solving this one, if it can be solved, requires EAPI changes. It
> > might be possible to do something
>
> EAPI being the ebuild API? Well as long as we're dreaming, we might as
> well dream big & come up with a completely new API. One where the
> "install & uninstall" functions can be stripped out of the ebuild
> easily & embedded into a binary package for example. While we're at
> it we'd also have to make sure the install scripts can run on ash or
> some other light-weight interpreter.

We use the term EAPI to go a bit beyond ebuilds. We use the same term
to cover, for example, exheres, which is an experimental 'derived from
ebuilds but way better' format we've been playing with.

In Paludis terms... EAPI is something used by things implemented in
terms of erepository, which means it covers EAPIs 0 and 1 (the Gentoo
EAPIs), kdebuild-1 (the Gentoo KDE project's extensions), paludis-1
(something we use for test cases of additional functionality) and
exheres-0 (which shares enough with ebuilds that we don't want to
reimplement it from scratch, but is wildly different in many areas).
EAPI does not, on the other hand, apply to things like CPAN, CRAN and
Gems.