[paludis-user] Paludis on non-Gentoo & non-root operation

Tom Cooksey tomcooksey at googlemail.com
Fri May 16 19:33:36 UTC 2008

>> Would a new tree like he's proposing have to be embedded only?
>
> Embedded-only is a bit strong. But I'm of the opinion that trying to
> have a single tree designed to cover both embedded / small systems and
> desktops and servers is considerably more work than having two trees.

Well I would hope it would become a general purpose build system, to cover
embedded & desktop systems alike. I think use flags have the potential to be
_very_ powerful indeed, allowing a single package tree to be used for embedded
(with minimum flags set) and full-blown desktop systems alike.

virtuals also help. virtual/sh becomes bash on desktop or busybox on embedded
for example.

I'd also like ebuilds to be more "binary package aware" and have a set
of attributes
describing them, a kind of signature:

package category
package name
package version
package revision
use flags
architecture (normal Gentoo arch: amd64/arm/etc)
cpu (The target cpu the package is compiled for: i386, i686, k8,
xscale, armv6, etc)
runtime dependency list

I think the runtime dependency list might get pretty complicated. If
the dependency is
a shared library, the package may need to specify an exact version it
was linked against
if other versions aren't binary compatible. It might also have to list
the use flags each
dependency was built against too.

So I ask my system to install package X. The package management system
then knows
it needs a package matching the name, maybe the version, use flags,
etc. Once it knows
the matching criteria it has several options: It can build the package
itself. It can ask another
build server to build it or it can download a pre-built package, maybe
even from a P2P system
like bit torrent (assuming you can search using a hash of the package
signature, not the
package itself).

This is probably all pipe dreams, but it's fun to dream. :-)

Cheers,

Tom