[paludis-user] Paludis on non-Gentoo & non-root operation

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri May 16 14:54:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 16:40:11 +0200
"Tom Cooksey" <tomcooksey at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Any ebuild replacement/enhancement planned to do this? :-)
> >
> > Wouldn't be hard to come up with one... The issue's more finding
> > someone to do a tree.
> >
> > If we're talking embedded, I'd imagine we're talking less than a
> > hundred packages, so it's possibly only a few days work...
>
> It's the existing tree which I see the real value in. All those
> packages sitting there ready to be compiled. Yes, I could come up with
> a ebuild replacement, but then I'd have to maintain all the packages
> myself, which defeats the point. The only option would be to get the
> community to adopt an ebuild format which is more cross-compile
> friendly. I don't really see that happening.

Honestly, if you were to come up with a small tree aimed at building
embedded systems, I suspect you'd end up getting quite a bit of
interest from other people. You're not the first to ask these kinds of
questions...

*shrug* It's a question of how much extra work it would be to start
such a project and see if it attracts enough people to be maintained...
If you or anyone else does go that way, give me a prod regarding design
and package manager things.