[paludis-user] Paludis on non-Gentoo & non-root operation

Tom Cooksey tomcooksey at googlemail.com
Tue May 13 22:22:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008 00:04:51 +0200
>> 2. Can Paludis run as an ordinary user?
>
>Paludis itself can. Ebuilds can't, since they need to chown things.

Fakeroot?

>  > I've tried this many times with portage with varying results. I've
>  > read about contrarius, but I want more than just a cross-toolchain. I
>  > want it to build a complete rootfs and I want it to automatically work
>  > out that target arch != host arch, so it needs to build a
>  > cross-toolchain.
>
>  Again, not something you can do with ebuilds.

Any ebuild replacement/enhancement planned to do this? :-)

>  > I realise Paludis is probably pretty far from my personal end-game and
>  > I'm not asking for anyone to implement what I want. I just want an
>  > honest opinion of how far Paludis is from these kind of things.
>
>  The package manager side wouldn't be too hard to do. The problem is
>  writing all the packages...

Well I was hoping the package heirarchy could be automatically
generated from the ebuilds.

Sounds like the answer is "pretty far", but not because of Paludis itself.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to struggle on with OpenEmbedded. :-(

Cheers,

Tom