[paludis-user] Tale of an evening with Contrarius

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Sun May 4 18:07:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, 4 May 2008 12:14:19 -0400
Jérôme Carretero <cJ-paludis at rez-metz.supelec.fr> wrote:
> I mean documentation of some use flags (eg. multislot) is in
> use.local.desc, with a category of sys-apps or sys-libs. So when
> installing cross-stuff, they aren't found, which is perfectly normal.

Mmm. Funnily enough... Derived categories might solve this one. A while
ago I suggested someone implement something for the ERepository family
looking like:

format = derived_ebuild
derived_from_repository = gentoo
derived_categories = \
    sys-devel -> cross-blah-devel
    sys-libs -> cross-blah-libs

which would avoid the need for symlinks.

> I think documenting per-package use-flags in metadata.xml is a better
> idea than using use.local.desc : that's closer to the ebuild, and not
> in the ebuild... Although, not discussing it first, is something
> baaad, as usual.

Yeah, it's not a bad idea, although the implementation has a few minor
deficiencies that could easily have been corrected had it gone through
the GLEP process. Mostly we don't support it in Paludis because I hate
writing code that deals with XML...