[paludis-user] What should get added to world?

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:07:22 UTC 2008

The rules for "what gets added to world" are currently:

* don't add anything if we're preserving world

* if it's a named set, add it unless it's world, system, security,
  everything, insecurity

* if it's a package spec, add its package unless the spec has wildcards,
  slot or version restrictions

Portage's rules are a bit different. So far as I know, which could be
out of date:

* it won't add things if the package is already installed

* it adds :slots for any spec that uniquely identifies a package (which
means if you install a particular kernel version, that kernel version
slot ends up in world, and then when the ebuilds are removed things get
icky)

Since the next alpha is going to have a big change to world (it'll be
in the release notes), I'm open to comments about:

* whether we should start adding things to world if they include slot
restrictions

* whether we should start adding things to world if they include
version restrictions

Answer quickly or forever hold your peas.