[paludis-user] Alternatives for /var/db/pkg

Hilco Wijbenga hilco.wijbenga at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 19:27:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Stephen P. Becker <spbecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:39:56 -0400 (EDT)
> "Benjamin R. Haskell" <paludis at benizi.com> wrote:
>
>> [Shoot, found this in my Drafts folder -- basically I second the
>> Reiserfs suggestions]
>
> The gentoo portage repo is one thing (easily replaceable with a quick
> rsync...), but I sure wouldn't want my vdb on something as unreliable as
> reiserfs.

"unreliable as reiserfs"? I've been using reiserfs for quite a few
years on several computers with several flavours of GNU/Linux both at
home and at work without even a hint of a problem. Or are you perhaps
referring to reiserfs4 specifically? In that case you might be right
(I haven't played with reiserfs4 yet) otherwise your statement seems
rather FUDdy. :-)

Your statement, as posted, appears (to me) to be wildly unfair to reiserfs.