[paludis-user] Reference to 'virtual/x11'

Benjamin R. Haskell paludis at benizi.com
Fri Feb 8 17:47:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> Running "paludis -ip world" works without problems but when I try
> "paludis -ip everything" I get the following error:
>
> ~ # paludis -ip everything
> Building target list...
> Building dependency list...
> Query error:
>  * In program paludis (--dl-reinstall if-use-changed --log-level
> warning) -ip everything:
>  * When performing install action from command line:
>  * When executing install task:
>  * When building dependency list:
>  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'virtual/x11':
>  * No versions of 'virtual/x11' are available.
>
> I tried the same command with "--show-reasons full" and
> "--continue-on-failure always" but I get the exact same output.
>
> I can't find this reference to 'virtual/x11'. There is no such package
> in Portage and I don't see a reference to it in either
> /usr/portage/**/*, /etc/paludis/**/* or /var/lib/portage/world.
>
> Any ideas?

virtual/x11 is from the old monolithic X ebuilds, before they were split
into x11-libs/*. It's been a long while since I've updated (currently on
332 of 648) and a lot of things in /var/db/pkg have virtual/x11 in their
*DEPENDs, though many seem to be in a kind of transitional state, e.g.:

/var/db/pkg/media-sound/playmidi-2.5-r1/RDEPEND:
X? (
   || (
        ( x11-libs/libX11 x11-libs/libSM x11-libs/libXaw )
        virtual/x11
      )
    )

Sounds like something you have installed wasn't yet at that transition.
(depends on virtual/x11 without having the specific libs listed as an
alternate).

Not sure of the Paludis version of this search, but try:

# look through installed DEPENDs to find virtual/x11 listed without
#  x11-libs/, then format it a bit

find /var/db/pkg -name '*DEPEND' \
| xargs grep -l virtual/x11 \
| xargs grep -L x11-libs/ \
| xargs head | grep .

On my system, I see (among several false positives):

==> /var/db/pkg/media-fonts/arabeyes-fonts-1.1/DEPEND <==
   !bootstrap? ( sys-devel/patch ) X? ( virtual/x11 )

Best,
Ben