[paludis-user] sensible way to

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:19:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:01:05 -0400
"Dave Bender" <codehero at gmail.com> wrote:
> importare --location /var/empty virtual/linux-sources 2.6.26-r1
> 2.6.26-r1

I *think* the correct way to do it is:

* Make sure you don't have any kernel sources installed
* importare virtual/linux-sources scm

But possibly not, because old style virtuals are a mess.

> -You mentioned that gentoo uses old style virtuals. I don't really
> know what that means, but given that I am migrating from a gentoo
> distro, do I have an alternative way to specify sources?

Old style virtuals are fancy magic defined in profiles. New style
virtuals are simply empty normal packages, which are much nicer to
deal with. Gentoo uses a mixture of both.

> -If I were to create a new system from scratch using paludis as a
> package manager, what snapshot and stage tarball should I start with?

I'm not aware of any Gentoo-based stage tarballs containing Paludis.
But you can install Paludis straight away anyway, so it doesn't really
matter.