[Exherbo-dev] Parts, part 1

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:22:42 UTC 2012

You can now do this:

    MYOPTIONS="blah [[ presumed = true ]]"

Then any package which has a dependency upon your package implicitly
has a [blah] option dependency.

This only applies to specs in DEPENDENCIES, and only to 'regular' specs,
not blockers.

If you don't want this implicit option dependency in a particular case,
you can do [-blah] or [blah] to force it, or use the new [?blah]
syntax, which means "don't care".

This is the first step towards getting parts working. The primary use
case for this is along the lines of:

    MYOPTIONS="
        parts:
            headers [[ presumed = true ]]
            libs [[ presumed = true ]]
            docs
        "

So you don't need to update every single dependent to do:

    cat/pkg[parts:headers][parts:libs]

You can combine the ?flag prefix with a flag(?) postfix, and a group:*
for suboptions, so [?parts:*] or [?parts:headers(?)] will work.

This should be considered somewhat experimental for now. I think we're
best implementing parts incrementally, so please play around with this
and see if it looks sensible.