[Exherbo-dev] Changing repo and profile masks

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 27 13:00:52 GMT 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:55:32 +0100
Bernd Steinhauser <exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de> wrote:
> On 27/02/11 13:19, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Feb
> > or they can just use no tokens at all, which still means "accept any
> > kind of mask".
> If no token is specified, it should mean "accept no mask".

No, that's not backwards compatible, and it doesn't fit in nicely with
repositories whose masks don't support tokens or untokened masks in
repositories which do support tokens.

> Maybe I got parts of it wrong, but I thought that one of the reasons
> why we want to distinguish between different mask types is, that we
> don't want users to blindly disable masks for packages.

We want to give users the option of being more specific.

> > I think the plan is at some point to kill PLATFORMS and move that
> > into profiles instead. But I've not seen any details on that, so
> > for now I think it's easier if we carry on treating PLATFORMS and
> > masks as being entirely independent.
> The current change is good for sure, but maybe we could already
> ensure that we don't have to change the whole thing again if we want
> to get rid of PLATFORMS in its current implementation.

Whatever replaces PLATFORMS will be based upon whitelisting, not
blacklisting, so it'll be a different mechanism anyway...