[Exherbo-dev] systemd paludis uninstall phase

Enaut Waldmeier enaut.w at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 24 08:49:36 GMT 2011

2011/2/24 Markus Rothe <markus at unixforces.net>

> How do I disable 'uninstalled' services?
>
> I enabled alsasound-restore.service and rsyslog.socket a while ago.
> Now these two services are removed (in the case of rsyslog.socket) or
> renamed (in the case of alsasound-restore.serivce, which is now called
> alsa-restore.service).
>
> The services are listed as dead and I'm getting an ugly error message
> at boot time:
>
> alsasound-restore.service error  inactive dead
> alsasound-restore.service
> alsasound-store.service   error  inactive dead
>  alsasound-store.service
> rsyslog.socket            error  inactive dead          rsyslog.socket
>
> I cannot disable the services:
>
> $ systemctl disable alsasound-restore.service
> Couldn't find alsasound-restore.service.
>
> How do I solve this issue?
>
> -Markus

Well I guess you have some symlinks pointing to nowhere in your
/lib/systemd/system or in /etc/systemd/system. I think you can just remove
those dead symlinks.

Note however: Systemd creates a failed service if you call a service that
does not exist for example:
F-Laptop # systemctl start foo.service
Failed to issue method call: Unit foo.service failed to load: No such file
or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.
F-Laptop # systemctl -a | grep foo
foo.service               error  inactive dead          foo.service

I never had a unit file named foo.service. and this "failed entry" will
remain until restart or until you execute "systemctl daemon-reexec" so it
might be that there are some units that have an before or an after
dependency or there might be even some shell scripts that just start
systemctl missing-unit.service

maybe that helped or at least gave some hints.