[Exherbo-dev] Exherbo Impressions ~ From Installation to Uptime

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:18:22 GMT 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:58:05 +0100
"Wulf C. Krueger" <wk at mailstation.de> wrote:
> Am 05.03.2010 um 10:16 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh
> <ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
>  >:
> > The problem with wikis is that most of the information on them is
> > misleading, harmful, out of date or just plain wrong.
>
> Actually, that's been proven wrong. It's the same kind of FUD some
> people like to spread about Paludis and Exherbo.

Go and look at all the information on Paludis on gentoo-wiki, and all
the mess the paludis-extras people caused.

> A wiki may not be perfect for us but we shouldn't even try
> preventing anyone to create an inofficial one.

Yes, we should. Wikis cause more harm than good. They mislead users,
which in turn leads to huge amounts of wasted developer time, and they
distract users who could be contributing to official, maintained,
reviewed documentation.

> >> Do you suggest alternatives? If not, what's to hypothetically
> >> halt any
> >> Exherbo user from posting an unofficial Wiki: say,
> >> "http://exherbo-wiki.org "?
> >
> > If you do that we'll just ban anyone who uses it from all the
> > official support channels.
>
> No. We should NOT ban anyone for using something or we would just
> behave like the worst kind of Gentoo idiots. If they *behave* like
> morons, ban them. Otherwise, let them use what they want.

Following advice found in a wiki *is* behaving like a moron. Paludis
users following 'community' driven resources have wasted almost as much
of my time as the Gentoo council has. Putting up a wiki is actively
working against having a distribution where competent people have final
say.