[Exherbo-dev] Dependency labels: roles or primitives?

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:34:35 BST 2009

Should dependency labels specify roles or primitives? Currently they're
an uncomfortable mix of both.

Roles would look something like:

    build:
    run:
    compile:
    install:
    post:
    suggestion:
    recommendation:

Primitives are pretty much what we have now, except that what we have
now relies upon all sorts of magic assumptions, because build:, run:
etc aren't proper primitives (run:, for example, means something like
required-before-use+target-arch+target-destination-type:, and build:
means required-before+host+slash-destination).

Are we really comfortable with the existing solution, where developers
get something that's not exactly primitive and not exactly role based,
and where there're all kinds of weird package-manager-handled extra
bits?

If we're going to straighten it out, now's the best time to do so.