[Exherbo-dev] CONTAINS/CONTAINED_IN

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 24 19:19:08 BST 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:47:45 +0200
Gaute Hope <eg at gaute.vetsj.com> wrote:
> > It doesn't map nicely onto the virtuals model.
> >
> > Also, we hate virtuals.
>
> Yes. Im not saying it would be the best, but keeping things consistent
> is often worth a bit of pain.

Consistency is bad, if being consistent means not telling the package
manager what's really going on. I'd rather have a half dozen different
models so we can tell the package manager exactly what we really mean
than one model that's stretched out in lots of different ways.

See also: why || ( ) deps stink.

> > > Which package is to be the CONTAINS package and which is the
> > > CONTAINED_IN one(s) ?
> >
> > The relationship is obvious. If the relationship isn't obvious, it's
> > not a suitable use of CONTAINS.
>
> Yeah, it would work great for this case. But its very likely to cause
> confusion and be used wrong, like the provides/replaces-hell that Arch
> linux got. If it is possible to get them to be used properly it isn't
> a problem.

This is Exherbo. We don't have to worry about people misusing things.