[Exherbo-dev] Perl 5.10.1 upgrade path

Anders Ossowicki arkanoid at exherbo.org
Fri Sep 11 20:54:35 BST 2009

Hey!

I'll unmask perl 5.10.1 in a little while. When you update perl, it is
likely that you will hit an error during the postinstallation phase,
when we try to run eclectic to update all the symlinks because other
packages with perl modules have overwritten some of the scripts and
documentation that is shipped with perl by default. This is not
fatal and perl will keep working afterwards but you should fix it
nonetheless.

For most of you simply uninstalling dev-perl/Pod-Parser prior to
updating will be sufficient. If you get other collisions, identify which
packages the colliding files belong to and please tell us about them.

It is not necessary to reinstall all perl modules installed through the
official repositories after updating perl. It might be necessary to
reinstall modules you have installed through CPAN[1].

Two modules were moved into the core perl distribution: Parse-CPAN-Meta
and Compress-Raw-Bzip2. We will not continue to update the exheres for
these two distributions unless security issues are discovered or other
modules depend on newer versions. Unless you still have perl:5.8
installed, you can safely remove them. Anything that depends on them
should have been updated to let =dev-lang/perl-5.10.1 satisfy this
dependency.
All of the above goes for the pragma 'parent' (which we also have a
package for) as well.

If you actually care about perl, `perldoc perldelta' will tell you about
the changes and new stuff in 5.10.1.

Please note that both 5.10.0 and 5.10.1 have the same SLOT so you will
not be able to have both installed at the same time.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here on the mailing list or
poke us in #exherbo.

--
Anders
All hail the glorious onion!

[1] Do not do that. Write your own exheres for any perl modules you need
on a regular basis. Thanks to perl-module.exlib, perl exheres are dead
simple. At the very least download the source tarballs and use
importare.