[Exherbo-dev] Dealing with media options

Ingmar Vanhassel ingmar at exherbo.org
Fri Aug 7 09:38:14 BST 2009

Excerpts from Maxime COSTE's message of Fri Aug 07 10:32:59 +0200 2009:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 02:23:21AM +0200, Anders Ossowicki wrote:
> > > 1. Only use specification flags (get rid of lame, mad, x264, a52dec)
> > This is by far the most user-friendly approach, since an average user
> > cares about mp3-support, not whether we use lame or another library to
> > achieve it.
>
> I'm not sure that's true for the average exherbo user, I do care about limiting
> the number of libraries providing the same functionalities on my systems, that
> is one of the reason I use exherbo.
>

> What about extending options ? something like:
>
> mp3 : enable mp3 support using default implementation
> mp3~mad : prefere mad as mp3 decoder
> -mp3~lame : do not use lame to encode mp3
>
> enabling mp3 would automatically enable mp3~.* but there should be a way to
> automatically solve conflicts when a package needs one and only one
> implementation.
>
> Would that be acceptable ?

It's pointlessly complicated.

Diskspace is cheap, and given that both libraries have a very low
footprint, there's no need to make this more complicated. We target
desktop systems (ie not embedded), so that isn't an issue either.

media-libs/libmad-0.15.1b-r1:0::installed 10 files, 2 symlinks, 10
directories, 585.33 KB
media-sound/lame-3.98.2:0::installed 24 files, 2 symlinks, 16
directories, 4094.98 KB

Given that there're no licencing issues with libmad nor lame, this isn't
a concern either.

Next people are going to argue for libxml & expat options...

--
Exherbo KDE, X.org maintainer