[Exherbo-dev] Dealing with media options

Maxime COSTE frrrwww at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:32:59 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 02:23:21AM +0200, Anders Ossowicki wrote:
> > 1. Only use specification flags (get rid of lame, mad, x264, a52dec)
> This is by far the most user-friendly approach, since an average user
> cares about mp3-support, not whether we use lame or another library to
> achieve it.

I'm not sure that's true for the average exherbo user, I do care about limiting
the number of libraries providing the same functionalities on my systems, that
is one of the reason I use exherbo.

What about extending options ? something like:

mp3 : enable mp3 support using default implementation
mp3~mad : prefere mad as mp3 decoder
-mp3~lame : do not use lame to encode mp3

enabling mp3 would automatically enable mp3~.* but there should be a way to
automatically solve conflicts when a package needs one and only one
implementation.

Would that be acceptable ?

--
Maxime Coste