[Exherbo-dev] Fwd: Initsystem features

Ciaran McCreesh ciaran.mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 13:13:23 GMT 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:07:31 +0100
"Bryan Østergaard" <bryan.ostergaard at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Events should include:
>         * Insertion and removal of devices
>         * Changes in network configuration
>         * Events for startup and shutdown / reboot
>         * Events for crashes? (crashed services, we'd need to define
>  what we mean by crashed)
>         * Time/date events? (I don't see any utility of this but it
>  would be fairly easy to add if deemed useful)

* Events that can only be triggered by the user.

>  - Bash based initscripts
>  - /etc/conf.d/* support (would work just like in Gentoo)

Just like? One of the annoying things with Gentoo is how conf.d and
init.d contain package-installed content that gets modified by the
user. How about two dirs, and selecting from the user dir if the file
exists there and the package dir otherwise?

>  - Flexible dependency system (how flexible should it be? do we need
>  anything beyond runtime deps, and, or, blocking and some kind of
>  virtuals?)

Optional (order-only) deps.

>  /etc/events.d/ contains initscripts
>  /etc/conf.d/ contains initscript configuration
>  /etc/initium/ contains initsystem configuration (groups,
> configuration on when to restart or kill services and so on)

Two dirs would be nice for all of these.