[Exherbo-dev] Wishlist extension for unavailable?

Bernd Steinhauser exherbo at bernd-steinhauser.de
Wed Aug 20 18:21:20 BST 2008

This is something I've been thinking about for a few days.
The idea is mainly to present people with a list of packages that other
people need, but haven't been able to do themselves or don't want to do
them.

The idea is, that there is a repo (maybe wanted.git), that contains
"dummy" packages, that contain a bit of metadata, where HOMEPAGE must be
set and several other keys may be set (BUG=#bugnumber), even tags could
be allowed, if we introduce those.
We could also allow to drop the category there, if that is possible.

When now somebody either wants to install that package or a package,
that depends on a package in this list, the package manager prints out,
that the package is unavailable and lists a summary of metadata to get
started, so that the person know where to search for and perhaps does an
exheres for it.
paludis -q wanted.git could print a list of packages + metadata for all
packages there. (--list-packages would only print a list)

Discuss, please. :)

Regards,
Bernd